SEO: Inhouse and Outsourced – Pros and Cons
With almost 9 out of every ten consumers heading over to Google, Bing or another search engine to do research before they buy, it’s clear that getting a high search engine ranking for your business is extremely important. This is where Search Engine Optimization (SEO) comes in. By using carefully chosen keywords, building links to relevant sites, creating good content and other methods, your business or website can rise up the rankings and so become more visible to potential customers and clients.
You have two main choices when it comes to implementing SEO. You can do it within your company, either by yourself or through an employee, or you can outsource it to a specialist SEO provider. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.
Inhouse SEO Advantages
If you or your employees have free time then you may be able to succeed with SEO that is carried out within your business.
- You can have direct supervision of the SEO work so that you know everything that is happening as it happens.
- The work can be handled by an existing employee or by yourself, meaning no additional costs.
- The work will be performed by someone with an in-depth understanding of the business. That means the SEO implementer is best placed to know what works for you.
Inhouse SEO Disadvantages
Inhouse SEO does, however, have its downsides in terms of time management and expertise.
- SEO work can take time away from other elements of the business.
- SEO work can be left undone if more urgent needs arise.
- There may be too much work for an existing employee, but not enough to be a full or part time position, leading to dead time in the office.
- You may need to invest significant time and effort into understanding the intricacies of SEO. Alternatively, the work may be done by someone who is not an expert.
Outsourced SEO Advantages
Outsourcing SEO is very common and offers a number of benefits to all kinds of businesses. It is important to choose a reputable, experienced company to achieve the maximum advantages.
- You get access to experienced experts who know SEO inside and out. They can offer their advice and experience and explain how various elements come together.
- Investment in learning and development is spread over multiple clients, meaning each client pays less for the latest techniques than if they had to learn it themselves.
- The specialist company will have implemented campaigns previously and will be able to hit the ground running.
- You will only pay for the time spent working on your project, not a full time salary.
- You can focus on other elements of your business, knowing that SEO is being taken care of.
- The specialists will have experience in building links and contacts with bloggers and other sites to link back to your site.
Outsourced SEO Disadvantages
An outside SEO company may not be for everyone.
- You need to ensure you choose an experienced, trustworthy provider who will explain what they are doing and give updates on their progress.
- You do not have direct oversight of someone working in your office.
- It will require an investment of money that you would not need to spend if you did it yourself.
- You may have less control over exactly what is done, although this can be mitigated by discussing your desires with the company ahead of time.
If you want to learn more about SEO and how it can help your business, call today to speak to one of the experts at Infintech Designs. You can get advice, assistance and a free quote for SEO services.
3110 Magazine St., #120
New Orleans, LA 70115