Does My Business Need a Blog?
The idea of writing a blog for your business may seem overwhelming. You may think that you’d rather spend time running your business than writing about it. What you may not realize is that having a blog can accomplish three great things for your business:
1. Produces fresh content for your website. When you write a blog, you regularly update your website with fresh content. The search results often favor websites that have newer, relevant content.
2. Establishes you as an expert. Whether you own a roofing company or a small accounting firm, a blog establishes you as an expert in your industry. The more often search engines associate your name with certain topics, the more likely they are to put your pages near the top of the list.
3. Helps your customers. Many people that look at your website want information. When they look at your blog and see that you’ve assembled a lot of helpful information for them, they’re going to remember your business.
So What Should I Write About?
You’re used to dealing with issues regarding your industry all of the time. When you’re faced with writing about them, however, you may not know where to start. Follow some of these tips to generate engaging blog topics.
1. What questions are your customers asking? Write down a list of frequently asked questions, or FAQs, that your customers consistently ask you. You’ll be generating topic ideas that you know will be of interest to your audience.
2. What’s on your mind? Is something about your industry making you frustrated? Do you see something wrong that you want to tell people about? Maybe you can think of something that’s going really right for your industry. When you have strong feelings about a subject, you’re going to have an easier time writing about it.
3. What’s on your calendar? Look at what’s ahead for your business in the coming year. Let’s say, for example, that you run a lawn care business. At certain times of year, you perform certain activities to maintain a lawn. Your seasonal business calendar can give you ideas for relevant topics. For example, how to dethatch a lawn could be a great springtime blog topic.
4. What’s new in your business? Do you have new products or services rolling out? Are you opening a new location? Can you think of a new technology that your customers should know about? Anything new and exciting about your business makes a good blog topic.
5. What are other bloggers writing about? Do some research, looking at the existing blogs written for businesses like your own. What do you like and dislike about these blogs? Do you see something that another business owner has written about, but you know that you have something to add to the discussion? You can snag topic ideas from other blogs as long as you’re putting your own spin on the topic.
Promoting Your Blog
Once you’ve written a blog, you’ll need to promote it. Include blog links on your Facebook and Twitter updates if you have social media accounts. Read other people’s blogs and leave written comments about the subject, including a link to a blog that you’ve written on a similar topic. If you start to really feel confident about your blogging abilities, then offer to write a guest blog for your industry’s trade association or another website that’s relevant to your business.
Even after reading this post, you may feel as though you don’t have time to blog. Infintech offers blog writing services, and we can help you to promote your blog over social media. Call (504) 717-4837 or fill out our contact form for a free quote.